Friday, January 16, 2009

Booking Through Thursday on Friday

Today's question for the Booking Through Thursday meme is:
  • What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?
  • Why?
  • And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?
The first song that came to mind when I read this question was "The Beauty of Who You Are" by Marc Broussard. That link will take you to the full lyrics, but the second verse is the part that gets me every time:
There's a faith you're savin' for a rainy day
I could use right now
There's a way you move my soul to sing
Only you know how
You are a sensual salvation
You're the holiest temptation
Baby I'm never, never, never gonna be the same


There's something about this love/sex as a religious experience that speaks to me and never gets old. Any time I make a mix cd that's about love and relationships, this song goes on it. I swear, if a guy ever dedicated this song to me, I'd probably fall at his feet.

Here's a live performance of the song (it obviously doesn't hurt that the guy is Cajun and cute as hell):


Another fave song of mine with great lyrics is "On My Way" by Ingram Hill. Its my favorite breakup song ever, and I think it really captures that anger that you have at someone after a breakup, that need for them to hurt because you are:
I don't want your old letters
And I don't want to be friends
I've had enough to last a lifetime
and I don't wanna go again
I don't have to find a reason
And I don't have to answer why
It doesn't matter who is wrong here
I just wanna see you cry

And on my way I'll take the sunshine
On my way I'll take your dreams
On my way I'll say I'm sorry to no one but me

Let your family know I'm leavin
Lie to your girlfriends that you're well
Call and leave a cryin' message
I wanna know it hurts like hell

And on my way I'll take the sunshine
on my way I'll take your dreams
On my way I'll say I'm sorry to no one but me
On my way I'll be my own man
And I'll only please myself
On my way my pride's the only feeling I've got left





In the end, I think that my favorite songs have fairly simple lyrics. Nothing too deep and not necessarily all that meaningful, just people saying what they feel, in a truthful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment